How to Replace a Passport Lost While Abroad

This was in Travel and Leisure this week.  There is almost nothing scarier than being in a foreign country and losing your passport!  What do you do?  Who do you talk to?  How do you get home?  Travel and Leisure has answered the million dollar question!

Q: What do I do if I lose my passport in a foreign country? —Amy Lin, Bridgewater, N.J.

A: Start by contacting the closest U.S. consulate or embassy to report your lost passport and have it invalidated to prevent identity theft. Ask what time the office opens, then visit first thing in the morning to submit forms DS-11 and DS-64 (available at and a copy of your outbound itinerary. If your passport was your only form of documentation, an interview may be necessary to confirm your identity. After paying a $135 fee and a short wait, you’ll be issued either a new passport that is good for 10 years or a temporary one that expires after three months, which should get you home without completely ruining your vacation.

How to Replace a Lost Passport

When I leave the country I always make sure I have a copy of my passport as well as all of the credit cards I am taking with me.  Also I leave a copy of my passports at home with my emergency contact.

Remember to travel smart!!!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s